West Country Cheese Straws
Cheese straws make a classic festive nibble but try this recipe which is made with full flavoured farmhouse Cheddar and ground walnuts with sunflower seeds for added bite. Serve with a fresh tomato salsa or a bowl of olives.
Makes: 24 cheese straws
Preparation Time: 20 minutes plus chilling time
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
225g/8oz Plain flour
25g/1oz Walnuts (bashed in a bag with a rolling pin to grind)
25g/1oz Sunflower seeds.
75g/3oz Butter, chilled
75g/3oz Extra Mature West Country Farmhouse Cheddar, grated
2 Medium egg yolks
2 tbsp Cold water
1. Sieve the flour and salt into a medium size bow and stir in sunflower seeds and roughly ground walnuts.
2. Coarsely grate the butter into the flour along with the cheese. Add egg yolks and water and combine together using a fork and then by hand.
3. Transfer mix onto a work surface lightly dusted with flour and knead until smooth.
4. Roll out in an approximate rectangle to the thickness of a £1 coin.
5. Cut into even pencil length strips and carefully transfer to a baking sheet lined with baking parchment using a palette knife or spatula.
6. Bake at 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 until golden brown in colour and crisp. Cool on baking sheet for 2 – 3 minutes to harden before transferring to a cooling tray.
7. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.